Friday, August 21, 2009

Here we go!

Embarking on an adventure into the Northeastern corner pocket of the United States. I have been experiencing waves of both excitement and terror as I think of what might be waiting on the door step of every new day that we spend here. Along with attending a program that I think will be most challenging and rewarding at the University of New England, I am now waiting to find out whether or not I will have the opportunity to work researching local wildlife. School does not start until September 7th, but I cannot wait.

All things school and exciting new move! aside. I would like to move on to the subject of driving in new places. I don't know about anyone else, but I suffer from a strange mentality on long drives to demand to be the one who drives. I don't know if it's my inner hero saying
"Don't worry everyone, I'm in control here."
or more likely
"If anything goes wrong, I'll take the brunt of it"
or most definitely
"I have a tiny bladder, thus I shall stop when I must."
What I do know, is that this faux bravery (which is quite uncalled for) has lead me to some very uncomfortable situations. As some of you may know, August is still tourist season in Maine, also dubbed "Vacationland", or as Kari and myself refer to it, "the way life should be". Being tourist season some drivers are not from around here... they are "from away", not our from away, we're more of a "From away, to stay, for now." Not being resident patrons of local establishments and venues these kindly visitors tend to run a but ruthless on the roads.
For the sake of these individuals who I have not met in great detail, thus do not have the right to judge them, I will post this graphical depiction of Maine roadway in tourist season.


You will recognize Kari and myself in the innocent sixteen wheeler set off so vulnerably to the left. I sure do hope that things calm down up here so that I may get about the area and learn, love, and appreciate all of the natural offerings from my new surroundings.

Crazy storm moving in though, so I suppose I should close down the ol' electronic shop, but I shall return with adventurous tales of Lobsters, Moose, Red Sox Fans, River Fording, Getting Lost, Mini-Golf, Theatres with a liquor license, Toll Escapes, and... PIRATES... hopefully. See you all real soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment